Open to the entire campus community and its Tucson neighbors, ‘85 North is more than spacious tables and extended, convenience-minded operating hours. Honors Weekly stirred the pot with a few questions about this innovative restaurant concept.
H.W. What's behind the architecture of the space including serving and seating areas?
C.C. ACC developed the architectural design of the space. The feel of the space is open and inviting: The serving area offers a variety of stations which allow guests to easily identify many options to their liking; options that focus on variety and freshness.
H.W. Does '85 North have a theme or focus in the dining experience?
C.C. ’85 North meets the tastes and nutritional requirements of a diverse group, with stations including these eight:
*Extensive salad bar stocked with fresh produce, composed salads, yogurt bar and build-your-own sandwich options
- Hotline with breakfast fare in the morning and seasonal vegetables and lean proteins for lunch and dinner
- All-day customizable omelet, pasta and ramen station
- International station with rotating options from around the world
- Veg-centric station with rotational entrée and side menu options
- Grill area with burgers, chicken breast or veggie burger options along with a featured sandwich and quesadilla of the day
- Pizza station with rotating pizza menu offered on a whole grain crust
- Dessert station featuring gelato, sorbet, warm bread pudding and cookies
H.W. What accommodations have been made to special dietary requirements and preferences?
C.C. The Dining team knows there are many requests and preferences, so we work to accommodate those whenever possible in ways that include these:
- Gluten-free bread and a dedicated gluten-free toaster
- Gluten-free pasta available at the customizable pasta station
- Vegan options available all day including tofu scrambles at breakfast and fresh seasonal vegetables and entrees for lunch and dinner along with a fresh, extensive salad bar
- Specific requests can be accommodated by speaking with our chef at ’85 North
- Nutrition calculator is online for ease of identifying nutrition information and ingredients
- Registered Dietitian is available for guests needing assistance with navigating food options
H.W. Can you give us some hints about surprises this year in special offerings?
C.C. We have offered several special events already this semester including an Octoberfest Menu, Steak Night, Tailgate Menu for game day and Sushi Night, Thanksgiving Community Dinner, and Thanksgiving Bake Sale. What’s still ahead? A Holiday Gift Building workshop and, back by popular demand, another Sushi Night! There is much more to come next semester as well.