Credit Reduction Policies
Students must complete a minimum number of Honors credits in order to graduate with Honors. The requirement varies according to the number of college credits already completed at the time of enrollment in the Honors College. Credit earned through AP, IB, or CLEP does not result in a reduction of the Honors credit requirement. Only credit earned through a college or university can be used to reduce the number of required Honors credits. Honors credit requirements are detailed below, including additional policies that apply to students in the College of Engineering.
- Will need to complete a total of 30 Honors units in order to graduate with Honors
- Can complete up to 12 units via Honors contract (maximum 6 lower-division contract units)
- Will need to complete a total of 24 Honors units in order to graduate with Honors
- Can complete up to 9 units via Honors contract (maximum 6 lower-division contract units)
- Will need to complete a total of 18 Honors units in order to graduate with Honors
- Can complete up to 6 units via Honors contract
- Will automatically receive seven units of Honors credit for design work in their major
- May only complete 6 units via contract if they enter the Honors College with fewer than 60 credits, and may only complete 3 units via contract if they enter the Honors College with 60 or more credits. Engineering courses may not be contracted.
- Must complete at least 9 Honors units outside of the College of Engineering if they enter the Honors College with fewer than 30 credits, and must complete at least 3 units outside of the College of Engineering if they enter the Honors College with 30-59 credits. No restrictions apply to students who enter the Honors College with 60 or more units.
Study Away Policy
Students in the Honors College who are enrolling in a Study Away credit-bearing experience may apply for an Honors unit credit reduction. Study Away experiences include but are not limited to study abroad, research, internships, and other experiences outside of Pima County. After students complete their Study Away Application with an Honors staff member, students will be notified if their experience is approved. Approved experiences will receive the following credit reductions pending a completed Study Away 7 Week Course prior to the start of the next academic semester:
- Summer experiences will receive a maximum of 6 credit reduction units
- Winter experience will receive a maximum of a 3 credit reduction units
- Fall/ Spring semesters will receive a maximum of 9 credit reduction units
Your study away application and meeting needs to take place prior to the semester you plan to study away. Students who are enrolled in Honors approved student exchanges will be automatically considered for a credit reduction, but will still need to complete the application.
Once you complete the application you will need to email Aviva Doery at email@example.com to set up your study away meeting and discuss details of the 7 week course.